Injury and Illness Prevention Program
The following describes the Injury and Illness Prevention Program that applies to all laboratories and facilities in the Davidson College of Engineering:
RESPONSIBILITY AND AUTHORITY FOR IMPLEMENTING THE PROGRAM: DEAN'S OFFICE
- Andrew Hsu, Dean
- Jinny Rhee, Associate Dean
- Essam Marouf, Associate Dean
REQUIRED LABORATORY INFORMATION IN ALL LABS WITH HAZARDS
- Lab director, technician, emergency numbers
- Hazards present (may include chemicals, fuels, paints, solder, batteries, machinery, compressed gas, heights, extreme temperatures, high voltage)
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Link to Safety Data Sheets
- Lab Rules
REPORTING NON-COMPLIANCE and INJURY
- The Chain of Command: Dean's Office « Department Chair/Program Director « Technician/Lab Director « Student
- Reporting can start anywhere in the reporting chain, and stop anywhere if resolved.
- SJSU EH&S is available for consultation at any time.
- Lab Director is responsible for safe operation in laboratory.
- All labs with hazards will be inspected once per month by the technician assigned to the lab.
- Results of inspection will be communicated to lab directors and department chair/program director.
- Lab directors are ultimately responsible for ensuring labs operate within compliance.
- Any lab with an uncorrected violation for two consecutive inspections will be reported to the Dean's Office.
- Rules for Handling Chemicals and Hazardous WasteGoogle DOC
- All labs with chemical hazmat will be audited by SJSU EH&S once per semester. It is mandatory for the lab director and technician to attend. In addition, an associate dean and the student assistant may attend.
PROCEDURES FOR INVESTIGATING OCCUPATIONAL INJURY OR ILLNESS
- After-hours access: students are required to fill out the Working Alone Draft and get the lab director and chair signatures, and fill out the key request form with the associate dean's signature.
- Emergencies such as spills or injury will be reported to the lab director or technician if nearby, or to campus emergency personel if not or after hours.
TRAINING AND INSTRUCTION
CSU Skillport Online Training - training schedule developed
- Cryogenic Safety
- Forklift Training
SJSU EH&S "Hazardous Materials Handling & Storage" and "US Chemical Safety Board Investigation" VIDEO
- Required reading/viewing for all new faculty and technician hires
- Required reading/viewing for all faculty, technicians, and students working in labs with hazards annually
- Patrick Harran case at UCLA VIDEO, optional
- CSU Skillport Online Training - training schedule developed
- Chemical hazmat audit forms saved for 6 years
- Inspection forms saved for 3 years
- Record of training kept in Skillport for 3 years and downloaded once per year
- A signed and dated pdf of the "Basics of Hazardous Material Management" presentation will be archived from all required parties for 3 years
LaboratoriesFor a list of inspections please view our Inspections Folder. For additional information (Lab director, policies etc) please find the room/lab below in our list.
Links for Lab information below are linked to DOCX files unless otherwise denoted.
|Lab Room/Facility||Documents||Hazards||Lab Room/Facility||Documents||Hazards|
|ENG 111||Chemical||ENG 217||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 101||Chemical||ENG 221||Chemical|
|ENG 105||Chemical||ENG 223||Chemical|
|ENG 106||Chemical||ENG 225||Chemical|
|ENG 107||Chemical||ENG 227||Chemical|
|ENG 109||Chemical||ENG 229||Chemical|
|ENG 113||Chemical||ENG 231||Chemical|
|ENG 114ab||Chemical||ENG 233h-k||Chemical|
|ENG 115||Chemical||ENG 233l||Chemical|
|ENG 117||Chemical||ENG 235||Chemical|
|ENG 123||Chemical||ENG 236||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 125||Chemical||ENG 240||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 127||Non-Chemical||ENG 244||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 129||Chemical||ENG 272||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 129||Non-Chemical||ENG 290||Chemical|
|ENG 131||Non-Chemical||ENG 309/311/313||Chemical AppendixPDF||Chemical|
|ENG 134||Non-Chemical||ENG 376||Chemical|
|ENG 135||Non-Chemical||ENG 391/393||Chemical|
|ENG 141||Non-Chemical||Industrial System Building|
|ENG 150||Non-Chemical||IS 117||Chemical|
|ENG 164||Non-Chemical||IS 119||Chemical|
|ENG 186||Chemical||IS 122||Chemical|
|ENG 192||Non-Chemical||IS 129||Chemical|
|ENG 194||Non-Chemical||IS 133||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 201||Chemical||Technican's Office / Other|
|ENG 203||Chemical||ENG 120||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 205||Chemical||ENG 225a||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 207||Chemical||ENG 106a||Non-Chemical|
|ENG 209||Non-Chemical||ENG 278a||Non-Chemical|
|Reed Hillview Airport||Non-Chemical|