Engineering Pathways to Success
The SJSU Engineering Pathways to Success (EPS) initiative is a partnership between SJSU’s College of Engineering, College of Science and College of Education, as well as the K-12 sector, community and corporate funders.
The mission of the SJSU EPS initiative is to increase the number, diversity, and preparedness of students entering and completing college engineering programs.
- Increase the number, diversity, and preparedness of Bay Area high school students choosing to enter college engineering and technology programs
- Facilitate school adoption of Project Lead the Way (PLTW) in K-12 schools
- Offer teacher training to Bay Area high school and middle school teachers
- Offer intensive summer bridge program for incoming engineering students
Project Lead The Way
- Project Lead the Way’s (PLTW) mission is to ensure that the United States succeeds in the increasingly high-tech and high-skill global economy by partnering with middle schools and high schools to prepare students to become the most innovative and productive in the world
- PLTW offers engineering curricula to high schools and middle schools and provides teacher professional development programs
- Gateway to Technology (Middle School)
- Introduction to Engineering Design
- Principles of Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biotechnical Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Architecture
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Digital Electronics
- Engineering Design and Development
- Serves over 400,000 students at 4,782 schools
- Has had 30% growth over the last 5 years
- 10,500 teachers and 8,000 high school counselors trained to date
- Has grown from 5 schools to 340 schools in 7 years
- Serves over 25,000 students as of Fall 2012
PLTW Bay Area
- Will serve approximately 4,973 students at 52 schools in the 11-county Bay Area in Fall 2012 – Spring 2013
- Serves 41.9% Latino/a and 27.1% female students, compared to only 4.6% and 10.3% of industry professionals in these demographic categories
Engineering Ambassadors Program
The Engineering Ambassadors Program (EAP) supports EPS by engaging in outreach activities with K-12 schools.
For more information about the EPS initiative please contact outreach.engineering[at]sjsu[dot]edu.