Change of Major: Application Process
The following steps represent the Change of Major process for the College of Engineering. With the exception of students admitted to the COE as a freshman or transfer student, every prospective student interested in a COE major will follow these steps.
Due to impaction, prospective students are required to submit an application for departmental review. Admittance cannot be guaranteed and will depend on the capacity of the major.
Change of Major: Interest Form
Change of Major: Advising
For guidance on fulfilling course requirements, students with:
|Fewer than 45 units completed||45 or more units completed||Switching within the CoE|
|Meet with an ESSC advisor each term to develop an academic plan and timetable for FEC completion.||
Meet with the advisor of intended major to review Change of Major eligibility.
See an ESSC advisor to develop a study plan and timetable for FEC completion.
|Meet with the advisor of intended major for guidance on Change of Major eligibility and course planning.|
|For specifics on how a department ranks and reviews an applicant, see the major advisor|
ESSC Change of Major Advisors (Located in ENG 344)
|To make an appointment to see an ESSC Advisor, use GradesFirst.|
Please visit the department office or website for the most up to date info.
Change of Major: Online Application
If the form does not load below, follow this link.
Change of Major: Written Policy
Full text of the College of Engineering Change of Major Policy
(Effective Fall 2017)
The COE’s Change of Major policy and application process provides prospective students with manageable steps for completing preparation courses in a timely manner.
Due to impaction constraints, every prospective lower division student is required to submit a Change of Major application for departmental review. Admittance cannot be guaranteed and will depend on the applicant’s overall academic progress and performance in key Engineering courses.
To be considered for a Change of Major, prospective students must meet the following criteria at the time of application.
- The applicant must be in good academic standing by maintaining a SJSU GPA of 2.0 or better.
- The applicant’s cumulative/overall GPA must meet the major’s current impaction GPA.
- The applicant should earn a “C” or better in all foundational coursework (see COE CoM application guidelines for course requirements for each COE major).
- Departments will consider coursework completed outside of SJSU. However, repeated coursework will be accepted at the discretion of the Major’s Department. Repetition is not advisable and multiple course repeats will significantly delay graduation.
Upper division students (those with over 90 SJSU units accumulated) should consult with the major advisor directly for guidance on eligibility.
- A department may consider other coursework in their review of upper division students. These courses must be completed with a “C” or better.
- In accordance with the University’s Presidential Directive 2009-05, applicants who have earned 90 units or more may not change their major except by special permission from the Associate Dean of the College of Engineering. Any request that significantly extends a student’s time at SJSU, will be denied.
- Applicants must complete or have all course requirements in progress at the time of application. Students with course requirements in progress will be reviewed once their grades have been posted.
- Applications will be submitted online through the ESSC’s website and will then be distributed for departmental review.
Review of applications will occur after the application deadline. No late applications will be reviewed.
|10/1*-12/1||3/1-5/1||CoE CoM application filing period|
|12/1||5/1||Undeclared CoM applications due|
|Fall term||Spring term||Submit CoM petition to university|
*Application is not yet open. Please check back later
A printable copy of this policy is available here.
Questions? Contact the Engineering Student Success Center at email@example.com or visit our office in ENG 344.