College of Engineering Policy on Probation and DQ in the Major

The College of Engineering has implemented a policy on academic standing in the major. The College has strict standards regarding your performance in major courses. A flowchart of academic standing will also illustrate the policy. Students with questions or concerns should make an appointment with either their Major Advisor or an advisor in the Engineering Student Success Center in Room 344 (or call 408-924-3994).

College of Engineering undergraduate students are now required to maintain a 2.0 GPA in their major. The Major GPA is based on all courses which appear on the major form consisting of lower division math, science and engineering prep courses, major required courses, and technical electives.

Depending on your major there may be other grade requirements such as a minimum grade of C- in certain courses. Please check with your major advisor or the University catalog.

If a student’s Major GPA falls below a 2.0 they will be placed on Probation in the Major. This status will not appear on the student’s transcript and students will be notified of their status by their major department and/or by the Engineering Student Success Center.  These students must attend a probation workshop conducted by the Engineering Student Success Center.

After being placed on Probation in the Major students will need to achieve a semester Major GPA of 2.0 or better the following semester. If this does not happen students may be subject to disqualification from the major. If the semester GPA is above 2.0 but the overall Major GPA is still below 2.0, students will continue on probation.

To learn how to calculate your Major GPA, visit the following website: Use only the courses taken which appear in the University catalog as requirements for the major, excluding General Education courses (except for Engr 100W which is included). Some examples are shown here.

If students are only enrolled in classes that don’t count for the major, for example remedial Math, Math 19, Chem 10 and Engr 8Q, and the GPA in these courses in below 2.0, students should see an academic advisor as this may be a sign that they are not making progress towards the degree.

Students are ultimately responsible for maintaining their GPA. It is up to you to make the changes in your life, study habits, or attitude to improve your performance. If you are challenged by personal, emotional, academic or life situations which are making it difficult to be successful you should seek out an advising appointment to find out what resources are available on campus to help you.