Learn more about Canvas at Canvas Instructor Guide.
Go to https://sjsu.instructure.com/ and log in with your SJSU ID and password.
<Notes> All currently teaching instructors should have an account created. If your SJSU ID does not grant you access, please contact IT department for assistance.
Google Chome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Flash, and Respondus Lockdown Browser all support Canvas.
1. Go to "Settings" on the course navigation menu
2. Select "Import Content into This Course" in the right navigation menu
3. Select "Copy a Canvas Course" from the Content Type drop-down list
4. Choose the course you want to copy from
5. Select the option to copy the entire course or only part of the course
By clicking on the People Tab in the course navigation menu, you should be able to view your students list.
<Notes> Even if you have customized your course menu and hidden the People tab from students, you always have access to it as an instructor.
1. Go to "People" on the course navigation menu. Click on "+ People" on the top-right corner.
2. You have the option to add a user by either email address (the email address student use for applying SJSU, it is not SJSU email) or Login ID (SJSU ID).
3. Choose the "TA" in the Role from the drop-down list.
1. Click Settings from course navigation menu
2. Click the "Student View" button on the right navigation menu
3. Click the "Leave Student View" on the bottom right corner if you want to leave the Student View page
Each course in Canvas may be allocated up to 1 MB for each course. If you find that you'll be needing more space, email email@example.com for further information.
1. Click on "Settings" on the course navigation menu
2. Click on the "Navigation" tab on top navigation menu
3. Drag the tab you like on the top and move the tab down to the bottom if you don't plan to use the function
4. Click on "Save" to save the change
<Notes> The "Home" page is the first page when your students login to your Canvs course. It cannot be moved or removed.
You can add a weblink to the left-hand navigation using the Redirect tool.
1. Go to "Settings" on the left course navigation menu
2. Choose "Apps" tab on the top navigation menu
3. Select the "Redirect tool" in the App Center
4. Enter the name to appear in your navigation and the URL link of the website you will like to add it to the navigation menu
There are many ways to give extra credit, and here's one of the quick way
1. Create a new Assignment
2. Assign the Assignment with 0 point
3. Choose whether the students are required to finish the extra credit assignment
4. publish the Assignment
<Notes> If you are using weighted assignments you must put any 0-point assignments into an unweighted assignment group. You can also directly add extra points to an existing score in the Gradebook, or Fudge Points to a quiz.
You can embed video or audio links on the assignment page or pages.
Authorizing your Google Drive in Canvas
Google Drive is automatically available for all instructors and students in Canvas. For Step-by-Step guide, please see the Canvas guide.
Creating an Assignment using Google Drive
You can create cloud assignment using Google Drive. For Step-by-Step guide, please see the Canvas guide.
Creating create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive
You can link or embed pretty much any Google drive file using the Rich Content Editor in Canvas.
For Step-by-Step guide, please see the Canvas guide.
To send an email to your entire class:
1. Click on the Inbox
2. Click on the paper and pencil icon to compose a new email
3. Select the class you want to send out the message
4. Click on the icon at the far right of the To field
5. Select All, Teachers, or a specific section
<Notes> You cannot send a message to your students unless the course is published. In addition, messages are sent within Canvas. Students should also receive an email sent to their email address listed in Canvas based on how the ycustomize their notifications settings.
Access to personal files:
1. Click on "Account" on the left-hand navigation bar.
2. Click on “Files”.
<Notes> Only you can view your personal files.
Access to course files:
1. Click on "Files" on the course navigation menu.