This webpage provides information specific to cycle 3 of the program, covering AY 2020-21 assigned time (Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters). Additional detailed information about the program is provided by the two documents accessed at the links: Initial Program Information [pdf] and Program Updates for Cycle 3 [pdf]. Please note that the University program is administered by the individual colleges. This page is intended to provide summary information about how cycle 3 of the program is implemented in the College of Engineering (CoE).
March 27, 2020, for Academic Year (AY) 2020-21 RSCA assigned time awards (cycle 3).
Faculty applying to the program for the first time need to submit online completed Application Packet – Cycle 3 [docx] (AP below, for short) by 3/27/2020 The packet includes the following 5 sections:
- Cover Page Information – including name, rank, department, college, date of initial appointment to the University.
- ORCID iD (please check ORCID iD regarding how to create one. If you need assistance, please contact Librarian Yen Tran at email@example.com).
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV) not exceeding 4 pages.
- Scholarly Agenda – describing forward-looking RSCA goals, activities, and expected outcomes/products for the coming 5-year period (tenured faculty) or until tenure (probationary faculty). The scholarly agenda should be concise (no more than two pages; see the AP for specific word count requirements) and must include a brief summary aimed at an educated lay audience describing the importance of the proposed line of inquiry. Note that this agenda is forward-looking and complements the CoE RSCA metric data (see below), which only looks at past activity.
- The CoE specific RSCA metric data in the requested CoE format. The data includes extramural grants, journal publications, and conference publications meeting the requirements stated in the CoE RSCA Guidelines AY2020-21 [pdf] document. Supporting information and required documents should be uploaded to the CoE online database using the CoE RTrack Web-based App [pdf].
Faculty already admitted to the program in cycles 1 and 2 need only complete sections 1, 2, 3, and 5 of the packet. Please update your 4-page CV. The CoE RSCA metric data entered online and documented in Section 5 of the AP should cover the following periods: for all tenured faculty and probationary faculty in their 5th year and beyond, the 30 months period from 6/1/2017 to 12/31/2019; for probationary faculty in their 3rd or 4th year of service in Fall 2020, from the appointment date until 12/31/2019. Achievements for these periods not already in the online database should be added by 3/27/2020. Any claimed paper should have been published or granted final acceptance during the time window above to qualify for cycle 3. The same for any grant award. The grant notification should have been formally received by the Research Foundation by 12/31/2019. The Applications Packet is to be uploaded online. Use the following link to upload it.
Who Should/May Apply in Cycle 3?
All probationary and tenured CoE faculty seeking research support assigned time in AY2020-21 should do so by applying to the SJSU RSCA Program. The CoE no longer grant research-related assigned time to faculty not in the program.
Please note the following:
- Probationary faculty in their first two years of service are receiving assigned time through another mechanism and are not eligible to apply in cycle 3 of this program.
- All probationary faculty in their 3rd year of service at the start of AY2020-21 (including credited years of service at other institutions) should apply.
- All probationary faculty and tenured faculty who were admitted to the university program in cycles 1 and 2 are required to complete and submit sections 1, 2, 3, and 5 of the Application Packet to continue eligibility for support.
- Probationary faculty who applied for tenure starting August 2020 should complete and submit All sections, including a 5-year Scholarly Agenda.
- Any non-FERP tenured faculty member may apply.
- Faculty administrators (i.e. department chairs, program directors, and associate deans) may apply (see the Program Updates for Cycle 3 [pdf] for options).
The University will grant the RSCA Assigned Time Awards based on recommendations from the deans. In the CoE, Dean Sheryl Ehrman will make those recommendations based on evaluations of the Scholarly Agenda by the CoE Research Committee and the reported CoE RSCA metric data. For cycle 3 applications assessment, the Scholarly Agenda and CoE RSCA Metric Data components will be weighed 60% & 40%, respectively. The weighting is the same for probationary and tenured faculty. The percentages may differ in future cycles as more experience is gained with the program. The Provost’s office is expected to review the dean’s recommendations and provide final notice of award no later than May 15, 2020.
Duration of Award, Reviews, and Reporting Requirements
Each award will be for a 5-year period for tenured faculty or until the tenure decision for probationary faculty. There will be annual update of the CoE RSCA metric data and a formal review after year 3 of the award. First formal review of Cycle 1 awards occurs in March 2021. In most cases the outcome of the formal review will be that there is no change in the award. If, however, in the Dean’s opinion, there has not been adequate progress on the RSCA agenda nor adequate productivity according to the CoE-specific RSCA metric, then the Dean may recommend to the University that the remaining years of the Faculty RSCA Assigned Time award be rescinded.
All faculty receiving the award must submit information about their yearly RSCA productivity by completing the CoE RSCA metric data section of the application package in March of each year, and providing supporting information and uploading relevant documents to the CoE online database. Faculty who do not submit their yearly data and complete the online documentation will not be eligible for continued award.
Links to Related Documents:
- Initial Program Information [pdf]
- Program Updates for Cycle 3 [pdf]
- Application Packet – Cycle 3 [docx]
- CoE RSCA Guidelines AY2020-21 [pdf]
- CoE RTrack Web-based App [pdf]