Change of Major: Application Process
The Change of Major application for Fall 2019 is now open.
The following steps represent the Change of Major process for the College of Engineering. With the exception of students admitted to the COE as a freshman or transfer student, every prospective student interested in a COE major will follow these steps.
Due to impaction, prospective students are required to submit an application for departmental review. Admittance cannot be guaranteed and will depend on the capacity of the major.
Steps Towards a Change of Major
Attend a Change of Major Workshop
- These workshops provide answers to the common change of major questions.
- You will also have an opportunity to get a study plan for your intended major(s).
- RSVP to a Change of Major Workshop
Apply using the online application
- The online application will open at the beginning of October or March depending on application term.
- See the page for "Online Application" for current information.
Wait for a decision notification from the ESSC
- You will receive an email to your SJSU email address only.
- The ESSC will let you know to which majors you have been accepted or denied based your application.
If admitted, make your final decision.
- You will have a few days to consider your options.
- Respond promptly to the notification email with your final decision.
- The ESSC will handle changing your major with the University.
Changing Out of Engineering?If you are switching out of the College of Engineering, please upload a Study Plan signed by the new major advisor to this Google Form for the ESSC to review and lift your hold.
Change of Major: Advising
This information applies to students that plan on changing into the College of Engineering from Undeclared or any other major. It also applies to students already in the College of Engineering with intent to change to a different Engineering major.
The Change of Major process for the College of Engineering is separated into two categories depending on the number of earned units. If you are unsure of units earned, check with your major advisor or an ESSC advisor.
Below 60 Units Earned
Students with fewer than 60 earned units must do the following:
- Attend an ESSC Change of Major Workshop to complete a Study Plan for the intended major(s).
- Complete the required courses with satisfactory grades required by the major departments (usually a C- or above, but always double check the catalog).
- Complete the College of Engineering Change of Major Application on the ESSC website.
- Respond to decision email sent by the ESSC team indicating acceptance of new major.
- Wait for the Registrar to process the Change of Major (no additional paperwork needed).
Equal to or Above 60 Units Earned
For students that have earned equal to or above 60 units, the Change of Major process is handled directly by the major departments. It is reccomended, but not required, for students to meet with an ESSC Advisor for general guidance. Students must do the following:
- Meet with the appropriate Advisor (Major Advisor, Department Chair, etc.) for the intended major which varies by department.
- Discuss requirements for changing into that major.
- Complete required courses (if any).
- Bring the typed Change of Major Form, found on the Registrar’s Forms page, to the Major Advisor or Department Chair to be signed and submit the form the Registrar.
Equal to or Above 90 Units Earned
Students should follow the steps for 60 or above units with one modification in step 4. There is a different form for students with above 90 earned units which is also found on the Registrar's forms page. Also note that changing majors with 90 or more units earned requires a signature from the Associate Dean of Engineering.
Change of Major: Application Guidelines
- Be in good academic standing by maintaining a SJSU GPA of 2.0 or better
- Complete all Foundations of Engineering Courses (FEC) and major-specific requirements (see table)
- Meet the major’s impaction threshold for transfers
- Earn a “C“ or better in all FEC courses
- COE majors follow a unique sequence of courses that require careful planning.
- Students should aim to complete FEC and major-specific requirements within their first 2-3 semesters at SJSU.
- Depending on a student’s Math placement, they may need to utilize the summer term to ensure timely academic progress.
- Some majors will consider repeated coursework or Grade Forgiveness, however, repeats are not advisable and will delay graduation.
|COE Change of Major Application Requirements|
|Aviation & Technology||
GE Area A1
|All Engineering-named Majors||
*Prospective AVIA, EE, GE, ISE, ME & TECH students are not required
to complete additional coursework at the time of application
^See Civil Engineering department for access to CE 8
Change of Major: Online Application
If the form does not load, go directly to the application.
Change of Major: Written Policy
Full text of the College of Engineering Change of Major Policy
(Effective Fall 2017)
The COE’s Change of Major policy and application process provides prospective students with manageable steps for completing preparation courses in a timely manner.
Due to impaction constraints, every prospective lower division student is required to submit a Change of Major application for departmental review. Admittance cannot be guaranteed and will depend on the applicant’s overall academic progress and performance in key Engineering courses.
To be considered for a Change of Major, prospective students must meet the following criteria at the time of application.
- The applicant must be in good academic standing by maintaining a SJSU GPA of 2.0 or better.
- The applicant’s cumulative/overall GPA must meet the major’s current impaction GPA.
- The applicant should earn a “C” or better in all foundational coursework (see COE CoM application guidelines for course requirements for each COE major).
- Departments will consider coursework completed outside of SJSU. However, repeated coursework will be accepted at the discretion of the Major’s Department. Repetition is not advisable and multiple course repeats will significantly delay graduation.
Upper division students (those with over 90 SJSU units accumulated) should consult with the major advisor directly for guidance on eligibility.
- A department may consider other coursework in their review of upper division students. These courses must be completed with a “C” or better.
- In accordance with the University’s Presidential Directive 2009-05, applicants who have earned 90 units or more may not change their major except by special permission from the Associate Dean of the College of Engineering. Any request that significantly extends a student’s time at SJSU, will be denied.
- Applicants must complete or have all course requirements in progress at the time of application. Students with course requirements in progress will be reviewed once their grades have been posted.
- Applications will be submitted online through the ESSC’s website and will then be distributed for departmental review.
Review of applications will occur after the application deadline. No late applications will be reviewed.
|Spring 2019||Fall 2019|
|October 1, 2018||March 6, 2019||Application Opens|
|December 15, 2018||May 15, 2019||Application Closes|
|January 20, 2019||June 30, 2019||Students notified with department decisions|
|January 24, 2019||TBD||Student decisions due|
Questions? Contact the Engineering Student Success Center at email@example.com or visit our office in ENG 344.